DISTRICT 13 HISTORY 1935-2014
- Zonta International was founded in Buffalo, USA, 1919. In Denmark Zontaclub Copenhagen was chartered May 1935, followed by Zontaclub Stockholm also in May 1935, Zontaclub Gothenburg in 1939 and Zontaclub Reykjavik in 1941. After the end of World War 2 in 1947, Zontaclub Helsinki and Zontaclub Oslo were established and more clubs followed. The Nordic Zontaclubs visited each other as well as Zontaclubs in other regions of Europe.
- In 1962, the Zonta International Board decided to create two districts in Europe
- District XIII comprising the Nordic clubs
- District XIV comprising the other European clubs.
3. 1986 – The number of Zontaclubs continued to grow and in 1986, the Zonta International Board decided to split District XIII into:
- District 13 comprising the clubs in Denmark, Iceland and Norway; in 1994, Lithuania became a Zonta country linked to District 13 Area 01 Denmark, in 2005 Lithuania became Area 02
- District 20 comprising the clubs in Finland; 1991, Estonia became a Zonta country linked to District 20
- District 21 comprising the clubs in Sweden. 1993, Latvia became a Zonta country linked to District 21
Read more about the history of District 13 here:
- European Zonta Clubs 1930-1962 History- in- Brief
- Zonta International District XIII 1962-1986 History- in- Brief
- Zonta International District- 13 1986-2015 History- in- Brief
Read more about the history of the areas and the clubs – choose the area you want to see in the menu bar.